Wednesday, September 1

Preoccupied with things ...........

I don't know what's kept me preoccupied. Well, actually, there have been a few things but surely not significant enough to keep me away from the blog for THREE weeks! One is preparing the medical spreadsheet in order to submit our tax return, and the other is that I have been doing some relief teaching. I've really enjoyed the four different days at four different Catholic primary schools (for a change) - littlies sure do sap your energy! I've been very impressed generally with the good work ethic and respect found in primary schools; something I think perhaps teenagers lose on the way to high school.

Physically I'm doing well. I've had a good day again at chemo today, helped along by upbeat humour from our efficient nurses and interesting chats with the bubbly younger ladies I spoke with at the last chemo session. We talked about lymphodema, and wigs and makeup, among other things. An older Italian lady gave me wise advice about keeping up hope and staying around positive people. The atmosphere at the treatment centre is very supportive; people are kind to each other and show their concern. I really like that, and try to reciprocate or pay it forward. If only we could all be like that all the time, eh? It was the same consideration and attentiveness I felt at the "Look Good, Feel Better" workshop I went to on Monday. We were given lots of free make-up (score!) and shown how to apply it (including pencilling in eyebrows if necessary). The lady from Bonnie Wigs demonstrated a number of such lovely wigs it made me want to get one even though I don't need it. I liked the short Racquel Welsh wigs with feathered neckline the best. Perhaps every woman should have a wig that represents her 'alter ego'?

I still feel guilty that I am not getting around to doing enough exercise, not juicing enough, not meditating and not sorting out the stuff in the house (spring cleaning). But I guess these things will come. They will have to, really, as I NEED to learn to balance work and my own health needs. Looks like I am on the way to lymphodema in my right upper arm if I don't start attending to it soon. Mum sent me a newspaper article explaining how a good yoga session is equivalent to going jogging. I have just found that right now I can't be bothered to get up and go to exercises, and if I teach all day I tend to forget to look after myself (drink lots of water, eat a healthy lunch, and take my vitamins). We should all be encouraged to have these moments in our day where we can recharge and re-focus ourselves, but I'm afraid I've chosen a profession that doesn't really allow for that. On a relief teaching day, in a 'lunchbreak' on usually on yard duty sipping on old cold recess coffee and making sure kids don't hurt each other! At least I do get days off here and there where I can make sure I will recuperate, and have chiropractic or a massage. How is YOUR balance of work, relaxation and family panning out?

Thank you, again, for those who are praying for me or sending positive thoughts. I pray that you will be blessed for your kindness, for which I am truly grateful ....... thank you   x x  

No comments:

Post a Comment