Wednesday, July 28

Tingly fingers

It's another beautiful sunny Adelaide morning. The wind is pretty chilly and there'll be rain later but there's not a cloud in the sky at present. I just went for a nice walk and now face a very messy room to tidy up (my "office", which is a disgrace). Blogging and reading the witty (often funny) blogs of other women facing cancer treatment is FAR more interesting .....

Yesterday I went to see the beautiful Belle, my naturopath. She spent an hour with me, patiently explaining (again) why I needed certain medications. Most are vitamins, antioxidants and intestinal flora. There was one I had run out of some days earlier, and couldn't really see the point of taking. She reminded me that it was an anti-oxidant specifically to prevent nerve damage. I've read about neuropathy; initial symptoms are a tingling in the fingertips. By last night, guess what I had? Hot, tingly fingerpads. Now, I don't know if it was due to the washing up I did without wearing gloves (naughty), which may have caused more exfoliation than usual. Or the copious amount of hand-washing necessary for good hygiene in the chemo patient. Or psychosomatic symptoms imagined by the hypochondriac in me. But it feels real to me, and I've become acutely aware of what we need our fingertips for (typing, for one) - I've taken two Lipoec tabs this morning and won't be skipping any more doses.

I've noticed that my eyebrows and lashes have thinned out. I do hope I don't lose them; that could indeed be worse than losing hair on the head because it kind of defines your face, giving expression to your eyes (would my frown look the same?).

Oh, and I wanted to say that if you've been having difficulty in leaving a comment, you are not the only one. I don't know why that is, and you shouldn't have to register to be a blogger in order to leave a comment (though I think it helps if you have a gmail account). When you leave a comment, it comes to me first for approval, and only then does it appear on the blog! No worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment