Thursday, August 12

Had a good day

The chemotherapy went fine yesterday, mostly without incident. At the treatment centre I met two lovely young ladies; one just starting her chemo journey and the other soon to complete her year's Herceptin. We learned interesting things off each other. One had her Mum there, and she gave me advice for making soups and taking nutrients like pectin and vitamin D. So today I finally made the chicken soup I have been longing for. I bought a free range chook and weighed it at different stages. Interestingly almost exactly half of the chicken was inedible - skin, fat and bones. The rest consisted of lovely lean meat and then other bits (including neck, etc) for the pet. First I cut off the skin and fat, and boiled the carcass with veggies to make stock. After half an hour or so I removed the good meat and kept it aside, returning the bones to the stock for another hour of cooking. Then I sieved it, added fresh cut-up pieces of carrot, broccoli and corn and cooked it for another half hour before adding the meat and cooked brown rice to the soup. Everyone ate it up this evening, so it was worth all the effort!

My doctor said that if I really wanted to go and teach it shouldn't be a problem, as my white blood cell levels have been returning to good levels every time. It's amazing that hearing a positive affirmation gives one such confidence. So today I have had another look at the physics material I hope to teach in 10 days or so. It's fine if the job doesn't pan out - I shall do some relief teaching instead. I find that it keeps me upbeat, and stops me from becoming brain-dead and lazy.

I've had a good day today, energy-wise. I didn't take the anti-nausea medication and consequently I did feel a little queasy. But I took the herbal stuff and also had some freshly made juice (celery, kiwi, green apple, and ginger) for lunch. I've even had a little jog, meditated and taken the dog for a walk!

1 comment: