Wednesday, August 11

Chemo this morning

It's been a quiet week. I didn't go to any exercise classes but I did a little jogging. Even a minute or two gets the heart rate up, which sets you up for the day. My health improved and the ulcer went away. As they say, no sooner are you feeling normal again, it's time for chemo again!

An issue came up over the weekend, about the amount of money my naturopath medicines are costing. It is rather expensive, but what price is your health? What amount of money are you worth? It's a question I've been thinking about over the past few days - one has to be realistic, and take into account how much you have available in the first place. Firstly, the naturopath medicines are helping me enormously - I read other blogs by women undergoing treatment for breast cancer and many have very uncomfortable symptoms. I know from my first chemo session (which wasn't pleasant), my recovery from subsequent ones has been very good. Secondly, my parents very kindly sent me some money specifically to make my life easier, which includes the immune boosters and vitamins, as well as the home help I get to make my house sparkly once a week. I can't tell you how great it makes me feel to have a neat and clean house, even if it is for only 24 hours (before it's a mess again)!

I was offered a four week contract to teach Physics, which starts in 10 days or so. It would run during my chemo but I am thinking about doing it. Well, I dug out my Physics teaching materials and had a good look over past exam papers. Would I be able to answer the questions? Hmm, not sure about that any more. I've only ever taught one semester of Year 11 Physics, and that was 5 years ago. I have not exactly been given job opportunities or mentoring to help my teaching skills in this area, and with my 'chemo brain' at the moment perhaps it's unfair to take the position! Still, it has me thinking ..... perhaps I should get prepared for whatever opportunities the future may bring. One such way is to use this time to go in and watch other Physics teachers in action.

I'm a bit nervous about chemo this morning. I didn't sleep very well, but for once I didn't stay awake for two hours as I sometimes do if I wake up at 3am. I tried to meditate by repeatedly saying a mantra, and this prevented other thoughts and worries from establishing themselves in my mind. It worked, and it was very pleasing. I have avoided taking the 'night before' anti-nausea medication, and will try again to cut down on this stuff because it messes with your body. The herbal stuff tastes foul, though! So, I hope to write tomorrow, knowing that many of you are thinking of me today and I thank you for that.

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment